This is an elegant and filling meal that will be sure to mix up the typical dinner menu, inspired by Mom and the Scottish purveyors of fine food, Valvona & Crolla.
Serves 4. 20-30 minutes.
- 1 loaf of garlic bread
- 9 oz. dried linguine or penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 oz. scallops, cut into 1/3-inch wide medallions
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Parsley to garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 300°. Wrap garlic bread loaf in foil and place in oven to warm.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until tender but firm. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Simultaneously melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add scallops and cook until edges brown, stirring frequently, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in cream and tomato paste. Cook until sauce is heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in cayenne pepper and 2 of the teaspoons dill.
- Mix pasta into sauce, adding pasta cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls as needed to moisten.
- Remove garlic bread from oven and slice to serve. Divide pasta into 4 bowls and sprinkle remaining dill on top. Salt and pepper to taste.